Saturday, February 7, 2009
February 7, 2009 (38/365)
I've always been extremely attracted to the results of encaustic painting and have begun studying it. I'm not sure why, as I utterly suck at two-dimensional artwork. Seriously. There's a measurable wind movement whenever I attempt it. Encaustic painting is essentially painting with wax. The building up and varying of layers with embedded images and materials compose the piece. It produces a work of richness and literal "depth." Amazing examples here. I'm not sure why I'm considering pursuing this technique as it's an extreme deviation from ceramics and likely somewhat costly to get started (both in materials and dedicated work space). It might also be a waste of time that I could be devoting to other work. There's a part of me that can't help wondering if there's something in this technique that I can bring over into ceramics. We'll see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment