Wednesday, February 25, 2009

February 25, 2009 (56/365)

I went to the studio angry today. It got me to thinking about how people will sometimes tell artists to "channel their anger into their art." I've, on occasion, suggested it as well. This wasn't the first time I've wondered why I can't do that with my work. This is the first time I've been able to mentally voice the answer, however. It has to do more with the medium involved than the artist. Some mediums allow for direct channeling of thought and feeling from brain to hands to medium. Drawing... painting.... are the primary examples. Ceramics, sculpture, photography, jewelry... these mediums require a lot of forethought and planning. By the time you can get to the actual production of the art... the manipulation of the medium... any anger has dissipated (or sometimes deflated into lethargy, bitterness, or depression).

So... no channeling for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment