Friday, February 6, 2009

February 5, 2009 (36/365)

I promised not to hash over the minutia of my days because, seriously, nobody's going to give a shit. I'll just say today was production day and I'm tired, so I haven't been contemplating a lot except how ineffective our ad salespeople are, how lousy the advertising market in general is right now for print publications, and what a terrible hair-snatchingly awful mistake changing our publication software was. It infuriates and terrifies me. The exhaustion itself comes from enduring hours of my intolerance for incompetency. I've learned people are adaptive, but only just enough to learn how to do most jobs. Doing it well requires actual skill which only about 20% of people in any given job actually have. Those other 80% can thank goodness that the people doing the hiring also fall within that 80/20 margin, so 80% of the people doling out the jobs don't give enough of a shit to just show them the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment