Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20, 2009 (20/365)

I had a leisurely lunch at Panera* today with a handful of art magazines. Today I did not have my eye on inspiration but was contemplative about "Art" and how it fits into my craft. Here are the two conclusions I came to which I actually thought were significant enough to jot down on the spot. Looking at them now, they seem like no big deal, but at the time they felt weightier. I suppose that recognizing these "true-isms" could make me a better artist.

1. There is a richness, randomness, and authenticity in "found" materials and objects that I cannot match by making something from scratch. I can only display, enhance, or incorporate it, hopefully to its greatest effect.

2. Nobody wants to look at a "single piece" unless they're in a museum. If you want to attract people who are interested in buying, you have to tantalize them with the promise of variety.

*Though I don't eat there often, I love Panera. That alone dooms them to commercial extinction, but it's probably the little bells and whistles, that set them above other similarly priced restaurants, that will probably also eventually lead to their financial ruin. While they're just a step above fast food, they make a nice sandwich. They bake their bread fresh daily (and have a respectable bakery), they provide free WiFi, and they keep a portion of the restaurant set up with comfortable couches and chairs around a fireplace. You can lounge about, eat your meal, read, and relax. I'm sure these frills aren't at all cost effective enough in this cut-throat day and age, but I really wish there were more places like this. I don't feel like I'm just supporting their bottom line when I eat there, and that feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment