Disclaimer: This is my uneducated opinion. I encourage those prone to death threaten to just ignore me.
I'm going to be wildly unpopular in this opinion, but I don't believe that gay couples have a "right" to marry. (Lord, I feel dirty just saying it.) I have absolutely nothing against gays or bisexuals, lord knows I have many friends with those leanings. But my take is that "Marriage" is defined by religion not the political state. (I'm going to use Christianity as the basis for my opinion here since it's the only religion I have any real knowledge of at all.) If the Christian Bible, supposedly the "word of God," states that marriage is between a man and a woman only, that's the end of the matter. No city, state, or country has the ability to overrule the word of God, and no amount of community outcry is likely to get the Big Man to appear and concede (though it would be unprecedentedly cool). I wish this weren't the case, because I believe anyone who seriously wants to should have the right to marry. But my ...nor any of your... desires can't change the facts. God makes the rules. I'm also both amused and appalled at the media and anyone else making the suggestion "Isn't it about time that religion changed to suit the times?" Like it's the decor in the family room that can be refreshed when we're tired of it. Sorry kids, it doesn't work that way.
I'd also like to send out a personal aside to the people of California. You had a giant-ass public vote to decide if gay marriage should be banned, and it was. And then the vote was legally upheld. Twice. Like it or not, I think it's safe to believe that the majority of citizens in CA don't think it should be legal. Y'all can stop shaking your tiny fists in righteous indignation in front of every news camera that will take your picture just because you're not happy with the outcome. You want your gays to be able to marry, change the law, and I'll get right behind you.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment